I’ve been sorting through my old cookery books and found some delicious looking recipes from a book called ‘Cooking for Today’ published about 30 years ago. I haven’t tried them yet, but I’d love to hear from you if you try them 🙂 The first ones I’m going to copy are all soups based on fruits.
I think it may work to change things like chicken stock for vegetable stock if you are vegan or vegetarian. Also, one of the ingredients in this first recipe is onion powder, which seems a bit ‘processed’ – so maybe try with a couple of spoonfuls of finely grated onion?
So, numero uno on the list is Sweet-sour banana soup
5 ripe bananas
150ml / ¼pint / ⅔ cup / whipping cream
4-5 tablespoons of wine vinegar
1-2 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon onion powder (or maybe a couple of teaspoons of very finely grated onion)
750ml/ 1¼ pints /3 cups chicken stock
few sprigs of mint to garnish
- Peel and mash 4 of the bananas
- Mix in the cream, and stir in the vinegar, sugar and onion powder
- Heat the stock in a pan and gradually whisk in the banana mixture
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes
- Season with a little salt to taste and serve garnished with slices of the remaining banana and sprigs of mint.