Both these recipes are served cold so, as I mentioned in the Apricot recipe, they may work well as a pouring sauce for desserts.
Cold Strawberry Soup
1½ lbs / 675g. strawberries
2-3 tablespoons of sugar
8fl.oz. / 225mls / 1 cup orange juice
- Reserve a few strawberries for garnish and hull the rest (remove leaves and centre core if preferred)
- Liquidize or sieve prepared strawberries
- Stir in the sugar and orange juice and mix well
- Stir soup, garnish and serve.
Cold Cherry Soup
1½ lbs / 675g. morello cherries
½ pint / 300mls / ¾ cup of red or white wine
1¼ pints / 750 mls / 3 cups of water
Strip of lemon rind
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 stick of cinnamon
1 whole clove
3 oz. / 75g. / ⅓ cup sugar
2-3 tablespoons of cornflour (cornstarch)
- Remove stalks and stones from the cherries
- Put the wine, water, lemon rind, lemon juice, cinnamon stick, clove and sugar into a pan and bring to the boil.
- Add the cherries and simmer for about 8 minutes.
- Blend the cornflour with a little cold water, add to the pan and stir until boiling.
- Simmer for one minute.
- Discard the rind, cinnamon and clove and cool.
TIP: The original recipe suggests serving with snow dumplings (snow dumpling recipe on this page)
P.S. Strawberries are easy to grow yourself. Check out this downloadable guide from your favourite online retailer:
How to Grow Strawberries (updated edition)
Listed on our Mini Guides page