Melon and Savoury Banana Soups
It’s been a few days since I yearned for more fruity recipes so here are a couple more to get the taste buds twitching!
The first one includes wine and nuts so maybe not suitable for children or those with nut allergies. The pine kernels are used as a garnish so could be left out.
Cold Melon Soup with Grapes
40z. / 100g. of green grapes
5oz. / 150g. of apricots
1 cantaloupe melon
1 eating apple
3-4 tablespoons of lemon juice
18 fl. oz. / 500ml / 2¼ cups of sweet white wine
1 teaspoon cornflour (cornstarch)
1 tablespoon of clear honey
2 oz. / 50g / ½ cup of pine kernels
- Wash the grapes, apple and apricots and cut in half
- Removes pips from grapes and stones from apricots
- Peel, core and thinly slice the apple.
- Cut the melon in half, remove the seeds and dice the flesh from one half, discarding the rind.
- Put the diced melon in a pan with the remaining fruit and pour over the lemon juice and wine.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Liquidize or sieve, then return to the pan and re-heat gently.
- Blend the cornflour with a little cold water, add to the pan and stir until boiling.
- Simmer for 3 minutes then stir in the honey.
- Using a melon baller, cut balls from the remaining half of the melon and put into the soup. Allow to cool.
- (If using) Toast the pine kernels, tossing them in a pan without fat, over a moderate heat until golden brown. Just before serving, sprinkle them over the soup.
Refreshing Savoury Banana Soup
This recipe uses beef or chicken stock. I don’t think that’s necessary so don’t be put off if you’re a veggie or, in my case, think that meat and bananas don’t mix! Try a vegetable stock instead.
And also, as with the previous recipe, the almonds are used as a garnish so could be omitted.
1 pint / 600 mls / 2½ cups of beef or chicken stock
2 ripe bananas
2-3 tablespoons of double cream
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
Pinch of curry powder (to taste)
Salt to taste
Few toasted slivered almonds (garnish)
- Put the stock and curry powder into a pan and bring to the boil
- Peel bananas and mash them in a large bowl
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and whisk in the boiling stock.
- Season to taste with salt and blend in the cream.
- Cool and then chill.
- Serve the soup garnished with the toasted slivered almonds if using.
P.S. These are more delicious recipes from Cooking For Today. I couldn’t find my edition online but this Fruit book is definitely going on my wish-list!
Fruit: Recipes that celebrate nature
“This is a beautifully designed and sumptuously photographed cookbook which shows how seasonal fruit harmonizes and enhances myriad vegetable and meat dishes.”