Another not-so-healthy recipe but a delicious afternoon tea treat. Copied from ‘Cookies Galore’
225g. plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
half a teaspoon of vanilla extract
For the topping:
50g. mini marshmallows
75g. chopped walnuts
50g. plain chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 180C/ Gas mark 4. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder together in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla, then work in the flour mixture to form a soft dough.
3. Take small amounts of the dough, each about the size of a walnut and roll into balls. Space well apart on the baking sheets and flatten slightly. Bake until just golden, about 12 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and reduce oven heat to 160C/ Gas mark 3.
5. To make the topping: mix together the marshmallows and walnuts. Then melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl is not touching the water. Spread a little chocolate on top of each cookie and top with the marshmallows and nut mixture.
6. Return the cookies to the reduced heat oven and bake for 1-2 minutes until marshmallow softens.
7. Cool on the baking sheets for 2-3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Drizzle or pipe the remaining chocolate over the cookies.
Linda Gray x
P.S. This downloadable book is a great start to creating your own Afternoon Tea fit for royalty! Choose your favourite supplier