I tend to chop up a tomato and throw it on the plate but this looks a lot more appealing, especially if you’re putting the oven on anyway.
Found in 30 minute cooking – My go-to at the moment!
Prep time: just a few minutes
Cooking time – 15-25 minutes
2 large beefsteak tomatoes (or equivalent smaller ones)
1 large garlic clove, crushed.
1 teaspoon of finely grated orange rind
40g. (1.5oz) unsalted butter
salt and ground black pepper
basil leaves to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 200C or Ga mark 6.
2. Soften the butter and blend with crushed garlic, grated orange rind and seasoning. Chill for a few minutes
3. Cut tomatoes in half crossways and place in an ovenproof dish.
4. Spread the butter evenly over each tomato half.
5. Bake in the oven for 15-25 minutes, depending on the size of the tomatoes, until just tender.
6. Serve hot, sprinkled with basil leaves.
P.S. I’ve just finished updating all the Growing Guides so if you’re growing your own tomatoes, there may be a few helpful hints – as well as some more recipe ideas – to find.
P.P.S. The 30 minute cookbook (new edition) is on Amazon