(Found in the book ‘Cookies Galore’)
These look fun – haven’t tried them yet but it reads fairly easy, just the twisting into shapes could be tricky.
If I can get a reasonable batch together, I’ll take a picture and replace the professional version here 🙂
200g plain flour
Half a teaspoon of baking powder
pinch of salt
6 tablespoons of butter
1 tablespoon of curry paste
50mls boiling water
Beaten egg to glaze
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C / Gas mark 4. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl and blend in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Stir the curry paste into the boiling water, then add to the flour mixture and mix to form a soft dough.
4. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
5. Divide into 30 pieces and roll each piece into a strand about 20cm long. Twist into a pretzel shape by making a round, then twist the ends around each other to form a curved letter B. Press into position to secure and place on the prepared baking sheets.
6. Brush the pretzels with beaten egg. Bake until golden – about 18-20 minutes. carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool.
The pretzels can be stored in an airtight container for one to two weeks. Although I can’t imagine them lasting that long in my house 🙂