As we’re right in the middle of ‘sugar’ season (!), I thought I’d post a quick recipe that the kids can do themselves – depending on their age of course. Half a dozen peppermint creams in a small pretty box makes a lovely last minute gift or stocking filler.
Ingredients (makes about 40)
1 large egg white
A quarter of a teaspoon of peppermint essence
A few drops of red or green food colouring (optional)
12oz. (350g.) icing sugar, sieved
A little cornflour
40z. (125g.) milk or dark chocolate
1. Put egg white, essence and colouring into a bowl.
2. Gradually stir in the icing sugar until a thick paste is formed. Then knead until smooth.
3. Lightly dust a board with cornflour.
4. Roll out peppermint paste to about a quarter inch (0.75cm) thick.
5. Using 1.5 inch (4cm) cutters, stamp out shapes and place on non-stick paper.
Leave to dry overnight
6. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over hot water.
7. Dip each sweet in the chocolate so only half is coated. Shake off any drips.
8. Place on non-stick or waxed paper and leave to set.
I have a feeling I’m going to be caving in on my sugar-free diet very soon!
P.S. I found this recipe in The Chocolate Book by Valerie Barratt. I can’t find it online anywhere though. It was published in 1990.
P.P.S. I’ve started building a chocolate website because I don’t have enough challenges in my life – hhhmmm….. Simply Chocolate