I found this delicious sounding recipe in a very old book and wanted to share. I haven’t tried it yet but it looks fairly straightforward so I might have a go. I’ve re-written the recipe in today’s language as the original was probably written over 100 years ago, and they spoke different then 🙂
I can’t find the date of publication but there is a reference to White Mountain Cream and their factory was destroyed in 1881 although they may have rebuilt of course. The recipes in this book reference particular brands quite often and it’s sometimes hard to know what on earth they meant!
MISS FARMER’S CHOCOLATE NOUGAT CAKE
¼ a cup of butter,
1 ½ cups of powdered sugar,
1 cup of milk,
2 cups of bread flour,
3 teaspoonfuls of baking powder,
½ teaspoonful of vanilla,
2 squares of chocolate, melted,
½ a cup of powdered sugar,
2/3 a cup of almonds blanched and shredded.
- Cream the butter. Add one and a half cups of sugar gradually and then add unbeaten egg.
- When well mixed, add two-thirds of the milk
- Stir sifted flour and baking powder together. Add to the mixture with the vanilla. Mix together well.
- To melted chocolate add rest of powdered sugar, place on range (I’d probably do this in a bowl over boiling water), gradually add remaining milk and cook until smooth.
- Cool slightly and add to cake mixture. Bake fifteen to twenty minutes in round layer-cake pans.
- Put between layers and on top of cake *White Mountain Cream sprinkled with almonds.
*I think ‘White Mountain Cream’ may have been a whipping or double cream or possibly ice cream. Go with your choice or what you have available.*
Not sure that bread flour is necessary. I might try this with gluten free flour and perhaps substitute some of the sugar with honey. Also, nougat nowadays tends to have cherries and other fruits and nuts mixed in, so might try that as well. This is changing rapidly. Better go back to the original and see where we go with it:-)
P.S. I couldn’t find an up-to-date edition of the very old chocolate book but Oh my – this is definitely going on my wish-list! Found on Amazon (UK)
Chocolate and 200 Chocolate Recipes
The Complete Book of: Over 200 delicious easy-to-make recipes for total indulgence, from cookies to cakes, shown step by step in over 700 mouthwatering photographs