Found this in a tiny little recipe book called
‘Creative Recipes for Spices’
I love asparagus and must try this as soon as I can find some sesame seeds and oil!
500g. (1lb) asparagus
60g. (2oz.) butter
6 spring onions, thinly sliced diagonally
Finely grated rind of half a small lemon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1-2 tablespoons sesame seeds, lightly toasted
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Lemon slices and sprigs of flat leaved parsley to garnish
1. Cut off woody part at base of asparagus then cut spears diagonally into 3 or 4 equal pieces
2. Put into a saucepan with enough salted boiling water to cover. Simmer, covered, for 8-10 minutes or until just tender. Drain well.
3. In a large frying pan, melt butter and fry spring onions gently for about one minute.
4. Add lemon rind and juice, then stir in asparagus. Toss lightly together over a gentle heat until heated through.
5. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne
6. Turn onto a warmed serving plate and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and sesame oil.
7. Garnish with lemon slices and parsley. Serve hot
P.S. I love cookery books and this one on Amazon (UK) is very tempting!
1001 Homemade Vegetable Recipes:
Enjoy Everyday With Homemade Vegetable Cookbook!
Although this isn’t a vegetarian book, the recipes are angled in such a way that encourages people to eat less meat and more fruits and vegetables, and it presents a variety of vegan choices.