Avocado and Wine Soups
Another couple of fruit based soups for you to try.
The first recipe includes chicken stock but I think vegetable stock would work.
I’m a little squeamish about meat based stock with fruit recipes but if you’re okay with it, try the original!
Avocado Soup with Almonds
2 ripe avocados
2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice
½ pint / 300mls / 1¼ cups of chicken stock
4fl.oz / 100mls / ½ cup of double cream
3-4 tablespoons of medium white wine
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon of toasted slivered almonds
- Halve the avocados, discard the stones and scoop out the flesh. Liquidize with the lemon juice
- Put the stock in a pan and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the cream and wine.
- Remove from the heat and beat in the avocado puree.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cool and then chill the soup.
- Divide between 4 soup bowls and sprinkle with toasted slivered almonds.
White Wine Soup with Kiwi fruit
This one is for the grown-ups!
14fl.oz / 400mls / 1¾ cups of apple juice
12fl.oz / 350mls / 1½ cups of sweet white wine
1½ oz / 40g / 3 tablespoons of sugar
2 – 3 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch)
4fl. oz. / 125mls / ½ cup of double cream
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 egg yolks
2 kiwi fruit
- Put the apple juice, wine and sugar into a pan and bring to the boil.
- Blend the cornflour with a little cold water, add to the soup and stir until boiling.
- Simmer for one minute.
- Beat the egg yolks with the cream and whisk into the soup.
- Reheat, stirring but do not allow to boil.
- Stir in the vanilla and add lemon juice and extra sugar to taste.
- Peel and slice the kiwi fruit. Add slices to the soup and serve hot or cold.
P.S. Before you go, I’d like to share this gorgeous book that’s currently on my wish-list but you can also find it on Amazon!
Fruit: Recipes that celebrate nature
This is a beautifully designed and sumptuously photographed cookbook which shows how seasonal fruit harmonizes and enhances myriad vegetable and meat dishes.