Avocado and Wine Soups
Another couple of fruit based soups for you to try. The first recipe includes chicken stock but I think vegetable stock would work. I’m a little squeamish about meat based stock with fruit recipes but if you’re okay with it, try the original!
Avocado Soup with Almonds
2 ripe avocados
2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice
½ pint / 300mls / 1¼ cups of chicken stock
4fl.oz / 100mls / ½ cup of double cream
3-4 tablespoons of medium white wine
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon of toasted slivered almonds
- Halve the avocados, discard the stones and scoop out the flesh. Liquidize with the lemon juice
- Put the stock in a pan and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the cream and wine.
- Remove from the heat and beat in the avocado puree.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cool and then chill the soup.
- Divide between 4 soup bowls and sprinkle with toasted slivered almonds.
White Wine Soup with Kiwi fruit
This one is for the grown-ups!
14fl.oz / 400mls / 1¾ cups of apple juice
12fl.oz / 350mls / 1½ cups of sweet white wine
1½ oz / 40g / 3 tablespoons of sugar
2 – 3 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch)
4fl. oz. / 125mls / ½ cup of double cream
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 egg yolks
2 kiwi fruit
- Put the apple juice, wine and sugar into a pan and bring to the boil.
- Blend the cornflour with a little cold water, add to the soup and stir until boiling.
- Simmer for one minute.
- Beat the egg yolks with the cream and whisk into the soup.
- Reheat, stirring but do not allow to boil.
- Stir in the vanilla and add lemon juice and extra sugar to taste.
- Peel and slice the kiwi fruit. Add slices to the soup and serve hot or cold.